One-week holiday

A one-week break from Singapore. Refreshing and interesting!

Name:

bored...and can't sit still

Saturday, January 28, 2006

7th of January - Officially a Pig.

We woke up early, well not that early, to start our day early. Okay that didn't make sense. Chengy, our ah mad (hehe...jk jk) for this stretch of the trip, brought Pei Kei, Susu, Lai and I to this restaurant in Butterworth called Weng Sang (WS). We had a feast in WS. My highlight for lunch - suckling pig!!!!!!!! Man I haven't had that in ages so that made me a happy girl already.

On our way to Weng San - Lai, reading in the car.

This was where we had the cheap suckling pig.

Like I said, CHEAP FOOD.... =))) The suckling pig was going at close to S$55!!! I called Mum there and then and she burst my bubble. She said that it was the market rate in Singapore. *&^$#&@*$@ Okayyyy..to me, I associate Malaysia and Thailand to cheap food, so don't mind me!

Chengy and I waiting patiently for the food.

click on the image!

The pig looks awfully.......roasted!!! hahahahah! I did feel a little intimidated because it seemed as though as it was staring at me.

After much deliberation, I ate it anyway. It was satisfying, almost orgasmic. The fat oozing out, the succulent meat....who could ask for more?

After lunch, we made our way to the Penang Island again. This time, we were ferried across, in our cars!!! Up till now, I haven't been ferried across in this manner. Or maybe I was too young to even remember details like that. Either way, it was refreshing.

Waiting to go into the ferry.

Driving into the ferry.

We alighted the car and enjoyed some fresh air. From left: Pei Kei, Me, Susu and Chengy. BAHHH i can see the stains on my nice green shirt. Stupid suckling pig sauce!!!

The best friends enjoying a moment together. Man these two girls are hilarious!

Susu and I, looking like little kids peering out.

A view of the Penang Island from the ferry itself.

There were two levels of the Ferry, so I went down to check it out.

We had a coconut each before walking up to this Kek Lok Si temple. Here you see Chengy, preparing her money. I'd like to call this the Paying-man Syndrome: the attempt to be the first person to pay for everyone.

The shops on the hill that lead to the temple

Almost at the peak of the hill laid this pond filled with turtles. If I'm not wrong (and correct me if I'm wrong), the people like to feed the turtles for good luck. So here we see Chengy stuffing the poor turtles with bunches of vegetables.

After the peeps visited the temple, we found ourselves eating again.

This time round, it's assam laksa again. For those who are interested, it's located at Air Itam. It's really famous and it's damn good! Try it without the black sauce.

On our way to buy the famous Him Heang biscuits, I found this motorist really amusing. hahaha.

We ate SOME MORE at Lorong Selamat, actually just the Char Kuay Teow and Ice Kachang.

And if you have a to-eat-before-you-die list, this HAS to be one of them. YOU HAVE TO GO TO PENANG'S LORONG SELAMAT TO TRY THIS STALL'S CHAR KUAY TEOW. I tell you I don't usually like Char Kuay Teow but this, mannn i wanted some more!

The picture speaks for itself. For this dish, I rate it a 10 out of 10.

Why am I not surprised I finished up the dish!

Right after that, we went in search for durians. After like close to 6 years, I decided to eat durians again. We found this stall at Jalan Macalistar.

We walked around Gurney Plaza (to shop) after the feast. We then found ourselves at the coast. There was this road side stall which Chengy recommended so...we ate again! It was actually just pork floss and bak kwa in a bun but it still tasted good!

Enjoyin my friends' company outside Gurney Plaza. It was soothing and peaceful to watch the waves crashing until...

I saw a dead fish. (kinda reminds me of.......EAST COAST PARK!!!)

After mucking around in the coastal area and shopping for a bit in Gurney Plaza, we met up with Yvonne. We met her at Gurney Drive. We were supposed to go to Gurney Drive the day before but because of the rain, we had to find another drier place to eat. Anyway speaking of Gurney Drive, it resembles Lau Pat Sat, only that it's an open concept. You see more than hundred stalls selling various hawker dishes. Whatever you need or want, you can find it here. I love this place so much that I almost hate it because in here, you are almost spoilt for choice. And i don't like too much choices. Haha...I'll end up being a pig and buying EVERYTHING i want. We ended up buying different dishes and sharing.

Here you see and may have an idea of how big this place is. It's situated in a huge carpark, next to a cemetary. haha!

While waiting for Yvonne - a nice housemate shot!

Some dishes that we ordered.

Other dishes that we tried.

Satisfied faces smiling for the camera

Smiling with Yvonne for the last time. I'll see you when you come to Singapore!!!

So that was how I spent my last night in Penang. We spent our first part of the day devouring a pig, and at the end of the day, I felt like a pig because of the phenomenal amount I consumed. How ironic isn't it?
(for more photos, click here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home