One-week holiday

A one-week break from Singapore. Refreshing and interesting!

Name:

bored...and can't sit still

Sunday, January 29, 2006

6th of January - Food, glorious food!

(warning: the contents that you see may be too overwhelming for the heart - there's just too much good food!!!)

After another hearty breakfast in Susu's place, we made our way to the bus terminal to grab tickets to Penang, Butterworth to be more exact. On the way to Butterworth, I finished up my book because I couldn't sleep. As a result I got even more restless. Did i EVER mention that I hate bus rides, and plane rides? sigh... On a lighter note, the book (shucks I can't even remember the title of the book already) was not too bad. Very digestible =) One of those love stories...ANYYWAYYY...

thanks aunty for having us! dang! i forgot to take photos with the two of them. sigh..

We finally arrived at Penang! We squeezed behind while Cheng's mum brought us to Nidong Tebal to have crab porridge. It was a pity we all were still quite stuffed from breakfast. Either that we were just too tired to truly appreciate the food placed in front of us.

We were greeted by the wide array of raw food. You'll never be able to see such a sight in Singapore.

Cheng's mum ordered as Susu looked on.

Sotong with some sweet spicy sauce (with Cheng looking very happy in the background)

We made our way to the Penang island by car. Cheng drove. It was then that I noticed that Malaysian drivers are quite scary. I wouldn't say that they are reckless but somehow whenever I'm sitting in the car, I find myself praying! =p I didn't manage to pick this up in Perlis, probably because there weren't that many cars that the drivers had any reason to be aggressive.

On the bridge to Penang. On my way there I kept humming the tune "London bridge is falling down" for some reason. hahaha!

For some reason, this stretch reminded me of Chinatown in Singapore. *shrug*

Cheng drove us to Prangin Mall where I treated myself to shopping. Shopping really does wonders I tell you. I was a happy girl when i left the Mall. I was an even more happy girl when I got to meet up with Von-von, my colleague, my friend from MUISS =) We arranged to meet at this hawker place in Gurney. She brought along her boyfriend as well. It was quite a rackus because everyone kept insisting on paying. Lai and I didn't manage to pay for much. Tsk... on a separate occasion he finally realised why he didn't manage to pay for the food - he had a "poor command of the hokkien language"...excuses... Anyway as I was saying, it was quite a hilarious sight, watching everyone almost screaming for the hawker's attention, defaming each other's notes, saying that the other party's notes were fake. =) Imagine what the hawkers might have thought!

The night view from Prangin Mall. Even though it's nothing spectacular in some people's eyes, to me it was quite a special view. It could be because it's just different. I was in a foreign land, but I was surrounded by my friends =) I dunno how to explain that feeling.

As i said, I met up with Yvonne. =) It was good to see her again!

click on the image for a video of some of the hawker food we savoured

We had quite a bit to eat. From Lor Mee to Chinese Rojak to Assam Laka... Fooooooooood! Now you see it......

Now you don't!

My malaysian pets helping themselves! =)

We then headed to this cafe called Segafredo for a few drinks. Here's to (I always quote from Alvina) "beauty, peace and harmony!"

The lot of us in Segafredo. From left: Yvonne, ME, Lai, Susu, Cheng, Pek Kei.

It's sooo fun to tease Pei Kei because she can't play that Die-game.

So that was my first day in Penang.

(for more photos, click here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home